Bethea's Byte Reloaded
Principal Forbids First Black Valedictorian From Giving Speech So City Hall Steps In JJnrk
Welcome to Bethea's Byte Reloaded. If you are a member, please sign in and participate. If you are not a member, please sign up and join the conversation. We'd love to hear from you.
Bethea's Byte Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome

I forgot my password

Notifications
    Who is online?
    In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 156 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:22 am
    Recent Members
    See more
    Statistics
    We have 42 registered users
    The newest registered user is JanCarter

Our users have posted a total of 4444 messages in 2050 subjects
    Latest topics
    » How are you feeling right now?
    Principal Forbids First Black Valedictorian From Giving Speech So City Hall Steps In Clock-10Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:46 pm by Kyng

» Last thing you ate/drank
    Principal Forbids First Black Valedictorian From Giving Speech So City Hall Steps In Clock-10Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:52 pm by Kyng

» What are you looking forward to right now?
    Principal Forbids First Black Valedictorian From Giving Speech So City Hall Steps In Clock-10Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:51 pm by Kyng

» What are your plans for the day
    Principal Forbids First Black Valedictorian From Giving Speech So City Hall Steps In Clock-10Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:06 am by Kyng

» What are your plans for the day.
    Principal Forbids First Black Valedictorian From Giving Speech So City Hall Steps In Clock-10Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:49 am by Cool Cory

» 2023/24 NFL season
    Principal Forbids First Black Valedictorian From Giving Speech So City Hall Steps In Clock-10Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:34 am by Cool Cory

» Karen freakout compliation
    Principal Forbids First Black Valedictorian From Giving Speech So City Hall Steps In Clock-10Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:30 am by Benny

» What NFL team do you support?
    Principal Forbids First Black Valedictorian From Giving Speech So City Hall Steps In Clock-10Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:55 am by Cool Cory

» NFL 2023 fixture release
    Principal Forbids First Black Valedictorian From Giving Speech So City Hall Steps In Clock-10Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:26 am by Cool Cory

» 2022-2023 NFL SEASON
    Principal Forbids First Black Valedictorian From Giving Speech So City Hall Steps In Clock-10Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:08 pm by The Last Outlaw

April 2024
    SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliate With Bethea’s Byte

Bethea's Byte

Anti-Spam Bots!

Submit Your Site To The Web's Top 50 Search Engines for Free!

The Coffee House

Planet Nexus

IconSkouliki
    BG Music

Principal Forbids First Black Valedictorian From Giving Speech So City Hall Steps In

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Last Outlaw
    The Last Outlaw
    Head Administrator
    Head Administrator
    Posts : 2894 Zodiac Sign : Aquarius Age : 48 Birthday : 1976-02-07

http://betheasbyte.com/

PostThe Last Outlaw Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:55 pm

Principal Forbids First Black Valedictorian From Giving Speech So City Hall Steps In GTSA

From USA TODAY

Justin Murphy of USA TODAY wrote:

Jaisaan Lovett graduated from University Preparatory Charter School for Young Men as the valedictorian last month, with a full scholarship to Clark Atlanta University. He is the school's first black valedictorian and, as such, had some things to say in his speech.

There was thanks for his parents, siblings and teachers and encouragement for his classmates. For school leader Joseph Munno, though, Lovett had a different message:

"To Mr. Munno, my principal, there's a whole lot of things I've wanted to say to you for a long time. ... I'm here as the UPrep 2018 valedictorian to tell you that you couldn't break me. I'm still here, and I'm still here strong.

"And after all these years, all this anger I've had toward you and UPrep as a whole, I realized I had to let that go in order to better myself. And I forgive you for everything I held against you."

Lovett's comments about Munno would likely have gone unnoticed if he'd delivered it as planned at the small graduation ceremony.

Instead, the school refused to let him speak, the result of what Lovett believes is personal animosity on Munno's part. As it happens, though, he has a powerful friend: Mayor Lovely Warren, in whose office he works as an intern.

Warren invited him to City Hall to deliver the speech and posted it on the city's official YouTube channel.

"Unfortunately, Jaisaan's school did not allow him to give his valedictorian speech," Warren said in the video. "For some reason, his school — in a country where freedom of speech is a constitution right, and the city of Frederick Douglass — turned his moment of triumph into a time of sorrow and pain.

"Jaisaan will never graduate from high school again. He will never get that moment back. This is not the time to punish a child because you may not like what he has to say."

Munno and the school did not respond to a request for comment. UPrep, an all-male school serving grades 7-12, is one of Rochester's best regarded charter schools, with annual graduation rates well above 90 percent.

Lovett said he'd had numerous run-ins with Munno over his six years at UPrep. In one instance last year, he led a five-day student strike when he said the school wouldn't order needed safety equipment for a lab.

"There’s a lot of wrong things that go on at that school, and when I notice it I speak out against it," he said. "(Munno) is a guy that doesn’t like to be told 'no.'"

Lovett said he was never asked to deliver a valedictorian speech even though past students had done so. When he requested permission to speak anyway, he said Munno denied him.

"He didn’t want to see the speech or what it said, nothing," Lovett said. "He just said no."

Warren also posted the YouTube video on her official mayoral Facebook page, crediting Lovett for "speaking truth to power" and saying he had been "silenced" by the school.

In a follow-up Facebook comment, she said: "He nor his parents were ever given a reason (why he wasn't allowed to give the speech). I called the principal but to my knowledge he never called me back. He and Jaisaan didn’t have a great relationship and it was his last chance to show himThe  who was boss. He worked hard for this opportunity and his mom and dad were in tears that there was nothing that they could do from the audience. They weren’t going to ruin it for everyone else."

A spokesman for Warren said he did not know whether Warren was aware of the specifics of Lovett's complaints against Munno.

Lovett's brother, LaJason Lovett, was salutatorian at UPrep last year and received a full ride to Morehouse College. Jaisaan is using his own scholarship to study video game design.

It's a shame to be the first Black Valedictorian for a school's graduating class, only to be silenced.  From what I just read, The young man didn't say anything disparaging toward the principal. It's a pathetic act and I hope we will get to hear all he had to say when he goes to City Hall to deliver his speech.

Just saying.
    Principal Forbids First Black Valedictorian From Giving Speech So City Hall Steps In R9Zf

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum