The Last Outlaw
    Head Administrator
    Head Administrator

Male Posts : 244

Ryan: House To Vote Thursday On Immigration Legislation

Post by The Last Outlaw on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:30 am

From Reuters

Reuters Staff wrote:

WASHINGTON, June 20 (Reuters) - The House of Representatives will vote on Thursday on immigration legislation designed to end the U.S. government's practice of separating families who cross the U.S. border illegally, House Speaker Paul Ryan said.

President Donald Trump's fellow Republicans in Congress have been scrambling to craft legislation as videos of youngsters in cages and an audiotape of wailing children have sparked anger at home from groups ranging from clergy to influential business leaders, as well as condemnation abroad.

"Tomorrow the House will vote on legislation to keep families together," Ryan told reporters on Wednesday. "Under this bill, when people are being prosecuted for illegally crossing the border, families will remain together under DHS (Department of Homeland Security) custody throughout the length of their legal proceedings."

The House is considering two bills.

Trump has fiercely defended his administration's actions and blamed Democrats for the family separations, even though his fellow Republicans control both chambers in Congress and his own administration implemented the current policy.

A Reuters/Ipsos national opinion poll released on Tuesday showed fewer than one in three American adults supporting the policy.

Trump, who has made a tough stance on immigration a centerpiece of his presidency, has sought to link an end to the family separations to passage of a wider bill on immigration that would include funding for his long-sought border wall with Mexico.

He told House Republicans on Tuesday night he would support either of the immigration bills under consideration, but did not give a preference. Many Republican lawmakers face tough re-election bids in November's midterm elections.

If former House Speaker John Boehner is right and the Republican Party is asleep, it's time for them to wake up.  They see what is going on.  It's high-time stand up and do the right thing.  Like I said in a previous post, it is time to show yourselves and the American People that you are not afraid to "box" with "King Trump."  I'm a Democrat by heart, but I have some respect for what the Republican party once stood for, and how they once conducted themselves.  I would like to see them go back to that time again.  Democrats and Republicans working in unity, or as we would say in my church, working in one accord for the American people, is the only true way to "Make America Great... Again!"

Just saying.

Current date/time is Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:46 pm