Bethea's Byte Reloaded
City Sues 'Empire' Actor Jussie Smollett Over Costs Of Police Work Despite Dismissal Of Charges JJnrk
Welcome to Bethea's Byte Reloaded. If you are a member, please sign in and participate. If you are not a member, please sign up and join the conversation. We'd love to hear from you.
Bethea's Byte Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome

I forgot my password

Notifications
    Who is online?
    In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 156 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:22 am
    Recent Members
    See more
    Statistics
    We have 42 registered users
    The newest registered user is JanCarter

Our users have posted a total of 4444 messages in 2050 subjects
    Latest topics
    » How are you feeling right now?
    City Sues 'Empire' Actor Jussie Smollett Over Costs Of Police Work Despite Dismissal Of Charges Clock-10Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:46 pm by Kyng

» Last thing you ate/drank
    City Sues 'Empire' Actor Jussie Smollett Over Costs Of Police Work Despite Dismissal Of Charges Clock-10Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:52 pm by Kyng

» What are you looking forward to right now?
    City Sues 'Empire' Actor Jussie Smollett Over Costs Of Police Work Despite Dismissal Of Charges Clock-10Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:51 pm by Kyng

» What are your plans for the day
    City Sues 'Empire' Actor Jussie Smollett Over Costs Of Police Work Despite Dismissal Of Charges Clock-10Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:06 am by Kyng

» What are your plans for the day.
    City Sues 'Empire' Actor Jussie Smollett Over Costs Of Police Work Despite Dismissal Of Charges Clock-10Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:49 am by Cool Cory

» 2023/24 NFL season
    City Sues 'Empire' Actor Jussie Smollett Over Costs Of Police Work Despite Dismissal Of Charges Clock-10Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:34 am by Cool Cory

» Karen freakout compliation
    City Sues 'Empire' Actor Jussie Smollett Over Costs Of Police Work Despite Dismissal Of Charges Clock-10Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:30 am by Benny

» What NFL team do you support?
    City Sues 'Empire' Actor Jussie Smollett Over Costs Of Police Work Despite Dismissal Of Charges Clock-10Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:55 am by Cool Cory

» NFL 2023 fixture release
    City Sues 'Empire' Actor Jussie Smollett Over Costs Of Police Work Despite Dismissal Of Charges Clock-10Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:26 am by Cool Cory

» 2022-2023 NFL SEASON
    City Sues 'Empire' Actor Jussie Smollett Over Costs Of Police Work Despite Dismissal Of Charges Clock-10Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:08 pm by The Last Outlaw

April 2024
    SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliate With Bethea’s Byte

Bethea's Byte

Anti-Spam Bots!

Submit Your Site To The Web's Top 50 Search Engines for Free!

The Coffee House

Planet Nexus

IconSkouliki
    BG Music

City Sues 'Empire' Actor Jussie Smollett Over Costs Of Police Work Despite Dismissal Of Charges

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Last Outlaw
    The Last Outlaw
    Head Administrator
    Head Administrator
    Posts : 2894 Zodiac Sign : Aquarius Age : 48 Birthday : 1976-02-07

http://betheasbyte.com/

PostThe Last Outlaw Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:33 am

City Sues 'Empire' Actor Jussie Smollett Over Costs Of Police Work Despite Dismissal Of Charges I5Bn3

From The Chicago Tribune

Megan Crepeau of The Chicago Tribune wrote:
    City Sues 'Empire' Actor Jussie Smollett Over Costs Of Police Work Despite Dismissal Of Charges $

Outgoing Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s administration says it has gone to court to try to force Jussie Smollett to pay Chicago back for an alleged hate crime hoax even though Cook County prosecutors dropped all charges against the Empire actor.

The lawsuit, filed late Thursday in Circuit Court, comes after Smollett failed to pony up $130,106 by a deadline imposed by the city to cover the cost of the police overtime hours expended in the investigation into his allegations.

The upcoming battle in civil court promises in many ways to mirror the criminal charges against Smollett that were abruptly dismissed by prosecutors last month. Both center on the same question: Did Smollett stage a physical assault on himself, claiming his attackers shouted racial and homophobic slurs?

The suit did not specify the damages that the city will seek, but the city said that more than two dozen Chicago police officers and detectives worked a combined 1,836 hours of overtime over at least two weeks while investigating Smollett’s claims.

A defiant letter sent last week by Smollett's lawyer warned the city against suing him, saying the actor "will not be intimidated into paying the demanded sum."

In a brief statement issued Thursday, the city's Law Department said the lawsuit against Smollett “pursues the full measure of damages allowed under the city’s ordinance forbidding false statements. The city declined further comment.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-jussie-smollett-city-lawsuit-20190409-story.html
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/city-sues-empire-actor-jussie-smollett-over-costs-of-police-work-despite-dismissal-of-charges/ar-BBVR5lB

It sounds to me that the City of Chicago is a bit salty over this because they didn't do their job in their investigation of Jussie Smollett and his claim of being assualted and men using homophobic slurs.  The smart thing is to seek the truth before jumping to the conclusion that he faked it in order to get more money from the show, Empire.  I still don't know what the truth behind all this is, and I'm waiting to comment further on this, but right now, I see that Chicago is seeking treble damages, meaning that they are seeking three times the amount that they say Smollett owes for the investigation.  This would come out to $390,318 if the courts find in favor of the City.  I will wait on that result too, but for now, I want the thing I wanted since the initial investigation started.  To use my signature line from Bethea's Byte: Fact Check... "The truth will set you free... Anything else will set me off."

Just Saying
    City Sues 'Empire' Actor Jussie Smollett Over Costs Of Police Work Despite Dismissal Of Charges I6goy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum