Bethea's Byte Reloaded
Family Seeks Answers in Fatal Police Shooting of Louisville Woman in Her Apartment JJnrk
Welcome to Bethea's Byte Reloaded. If you are a member, please sign in and participate. If you are not a member, please sign up and join the conversation. We'd love to hear from you.
Bethea's Byte Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome

I forgot my password

Notifications
    Who is online?
    In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 156 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:22 am
    Recent Members
    See more
    Statistics
    We have 42 registered users
    The newest registered user is JanCarter

Our users have posted a total of 4444 messages in 2050 subjects
    Latest topics
    » How are you feeling right now?
    Family Seeks Answers in Fatal Police Shooting of Louisville Woman in Her Apartment Clock-10Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:46 pm by Kyng

» Last thing you ate/drank
    Family Seeks Answers in Fatal Police Shooting of Louisville Woman in Her Apartment Clock-10Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:52 pm by Kyng

» What are you looking forward to right now?
    Family Seeks Answers in Fatal Police Shooting of Louisville Woman in Her Apartment Clock-10Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:51 pm by Kyng

» What are your plans for the day
    Family Seeks Answers in Fatal Police Shooting of Louisville Woman in Her Apartment Clock-10Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:06 am by Kyng

» What are your plans for the day.
    Family Seeks Answers in Fatal Police Shooting of Louisville Woman in Her Apartment Clock-10Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:49 am by Cool Cory

» 2023/24 NFL season
    Family Seeks Answers in Fatal Police Shooting of Louisville Woman in Her Apartment Clock-10Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:34 am by Cool Cory

» Karen freakout compliation
    Family Seeks Answers in Fatal Police Shooting of Louisville Woman in Her Apartment Clock-10Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:30 am by Benny

» What NFL team do you support?
    Family Seeks Answers in Fatal Police Shooting of Louisville Woman in Her Apartment Clock-10Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:55 am by Cool Cory

» NFL 2023 fixture release
    Family Seeks Answers in Fatal Police Shooting of Louisville Woman in Her Apartment Clock-10Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:26 am by Cool Cory

» 2022-2023 NFL SEASON
    Family Seeks Answers in Fatal Police Shooting of Louisville Woman in Her Apartment Clock-10Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:08 pm by The Last Outlaw

April 2024
    SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliate With Bethea’s Byte

Bethea's Byte

Anti-Spam Bots!

Submit Your Site To The Web's Top 50 Search Engines for Free!

The Coffee House

Planet Nexus

IconSkouliki
    BG Music

Family Seeks Answers in Fatal Police Shooting of Louisville Woman in Her Apartment

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Last Outlaw
    The Last Outlaw
    Head Administrator
    Head Administrator
    Posts : 2894 Zodiac Sign : Aquarius Age : 48 Birthday : 1976-02-07

http://betheasbyte.com/

PostThe Last Outlaw Tue May 12, 2020 11:18 pm

Family Seeks Answers in Fatal Police Shooting of Louisville Woman in Her Apartment I5Bn3

From The Washington Post

Errin Haines of The Washington Post wrote:
    Family Seeks Answers in Fatal Police Shooting of Louisville Woman in Her Apartment BB13WqjZ

Breonna Taylor was working as an EMT in Louisville when the coronavirus pandemic hit the country, helping to save lives while trying to protect her own.

On March 13, the 26-year-old aspiring nurse was killed in her apartment, shot at least eight times by Louisville police officers who officials have said were executing a drug warrant, according to a lawsuit filed by the family, accusing officers of wrongful death, excessive force and gross negligence.

“Not one person has talked to me. Not one person has explained anything to me,” Tamika Palmer, Taylor’s mother, said in an interview. “I want justice for her. I want them to say her name. There’s no reason Breonna should be dead at all.”

According to the lawsuit, filed April 27, Louisville police executed a search warrant at Taylor’s home, looking for a man who did not live in Taylor’s apartment complex and had already been detained when officers came to Taylor’s apartment after midnight. Taylor’s boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, was also in the apartment and, according to the lawsuit, shot at officers when they attempted to enter without announcing themselves. The lawsuit alleges that police fired more than 20 rounds of ammunition into the apartment.

Taylor’s death is the kind that could have drawn national headlines in the Black Lives Matter era, like the deaths of Sandra Bland and Atatiana Jefferson, but has gotten little attention amid news of the spread of the coronavirus. The pandemic headlines were partly to blame in drowning out news of Taylor’s death, but so, too, is gender bias, said attorney Ben Crump, who has risen to prominence in recent years as the lawyer for several high-profile cases involving black men killed by police and neighborhood vigilantes.

None of the officers involved have been charged in connection with the shooting. Walker, a licensed gun owner who was not injured in the incident, was arrested and faces charges of first-degree assault and attempted murder of a police officer.

Louisville Metro Police Department spokeswoman Jessie Halladay declined to comment on the case and said in a statement, “There is an ongoing public integrity investigation into this case and therefore it would be inappropriate for us to comment at this time.”

Crump, hired Monday to represent Taylor’s family, also represents the family of Ahmaud Arbery — whose killing in south Georgia while jogging was recorded by another man, video that sparked a movement among black runners and gained public attention that resulted in the arrest of the two white men accused of shooting him nearly 80 days ago.

“They’re killing our sisters just like they’re killing our brothers, but for whatever reason, we have not given our sisters the same attention that we have given to Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Stephon Clark, Terence Crutcher, Alton Sterling, Philando Castile, Eric Garner, Laquan McDonald,” Crump said. “Breonna’s name should be known by everybody in America who said those other names, because she was in her own home, doing absolutely nothing wrong.”

A phone call in the middle of the night was the first sign something was wrong for Palmer, Taylor’s mother, she said in an interview with the 19th.

When Palmer answered, her daughter’s boyfriend was on the other end, saying someone was trying to break into the couple’s apartment. Still shaking off the fog of sleep, Palmer jumped out of the bed at Walker’s next words: “I think they shot Breonna.”

Palmer got dressed and left home for what would be an hours-long ordeal. She drove to her daughter’s apartment, to the hospital and then back to the apartment as the sun rose. She said officers gave her little information and asked whether she had any enemies or whether she and her boyfriend were having problems.

Finally, Palmer figured out that her daughter was dead.

Palmer gets emotional when she considers that she was more concerned with her daughter’s safety as a health-care worker than she was about her being safe in her own home.

“She was an essential worker. She had to go to work,” Palmer said. “She didn’t have a problem with that. … To not be able to sleep in her own bed without someone busting down her door and taking her life. … I was just like, ‘Make sure you wash your hands!’ ”

The Black Lives Matter movement caught on in 2014, sparked by social media campaigns and public outrage, drawing attention to the killing of unarmed black Americans by police officers and sometimes leading to the arrest, prosecutions and, in rare cases, convictions of the shooters. While many of the headlines and hashtags are often for men — the primary victims of such shootings — black women are also impacted.

Taylor’s sister, Ju’Niyah Palmer, has been on social media daily, posting pictures of the two of them with hashtags like #JusticeForBre, to remind people that she was a victim and not a suspect in a crime. Taylor did not have a criminal record.

“I’m just getting awareness for my sister, for people to know who she is, what her name is,” said Ju’Niyah Palmer, 20, who lived with Taylor but was not at home at the time of the incident. “It is literally just as equal. There’s no difference.”

Photos and videos of runners with hashtags like #RunWithMaud and #AhmaudArbery were trending in recent days, including Friday, which would have been Arbery’s 26th birthday. Crump is now calling for the same attention for Taylor.

“If you ran for Ahmaud, you need to stand for Bre,” he said.

I believe that some cops need to be re-trained. With them, it's usually shoot first and ask questions later. Now another, unarmed, black WOMAN is dead. For what? An assumption? They ASSUMED that her boyfriend was living in her house. Didn't knock, just tried to break in and opened fire. I have a feeling this could end with everybody walking that will be charged in this shooting. I don't WANT to feel this way, but I do. History has dictated it. The only thing has changed is the location, and for the first time, it's a black WOMAN who was shot and killed.

Just Saying
    Family Seeks Answers in Fatal Police Shooting of Louisville Woman in Her Apartment I6goy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum