Bethea's Byte Reloaded
A Sheriff Put Down His Baton to Listen to Protesters. They Chanted 'Walk With Us,' So He Did JJnrk
Welcome to Bethea's Byte Reloaded. If you are a member, please sign in and participate. If you are not a member, please sign up and join the conversation. We'd love to hear from you.
Bethea's Byte Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome

I forgot my password

Notifications
    Who is online?
    In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 156 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:22 am
    Recent Members
    See more
    Statistics
    We have 42 registered users
    The newest registered user is JanCarter

Our users have posted a total of 4444 messages in 2050 subjects
    Latest topics
    » How are you feeling right now?
    A Sheriff Put Down His Baton to Listen to Protesters. They Chanted 'Walk With Us,' So He Did Clock-10Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:46 pm by Kyng

» Last thing you ate/drank
    A Sheriff Put Down His Baton to Listen to Protesters. They Chanted 'Walk With Us,' So He Did Clock-10Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:52 pm by Kyng

» What are you looking forward to right now?
    A Sheriff Put Down His Baton to Listen to Protesters. They Chanted 'Walk With Us,' So He Did Clock-10Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:51 pm by Kyng

» What are your plans for the day
    A Sheriff Put Down His Baton to Listen to Protesters. They Chanted 'Walk With Us,' So He Did Clock-10Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:06 am by Kyng

» What are your plans for the day.
    A Sheriff Put Down His Baton to Listen to Protesters. They Chanted 'Walk With Us,' So He Did Clock-10Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:49 am by Cool Cory

» 2023/24 NFL season
    A Sheriff Put Down His Baton to Listen to Protesters. They Chanted 'Walk With Us,' So He Did Clock-10Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:34 am by Cool Cory

» Karen freakout compliation
    A Sheriff Put Down His Baton to Listen to Protesters. They Chanted 'Walk With Us,' So He Did Clock-10Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:30 am by Benny

» What NFL team do you support?
    A Sheriff Put Down His Baton to Listen to Protesters. They Chanted 'Walk With Us,' So He Did Clock-10Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:55 am by Cool Cory

» NFL 2023 fixture release
    A Sheriff Put Down His Baton to Listen to Protesters. They Chanted 'Walk With Us,' So He Did Clock-10Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:26 am by Cool Cory

» 2022-2023 NFL SEASON
    A Sheriff Put Down His Baton to Listen to Protesters. They Chanted 'Walk With Us,' So He Did Clock-10Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:08 pm by The Last Outlaw

April 2024
    SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliate With Bethea’s Byte

Bethea's Byte

Anti-Spam Bots!

Submit Your Site To The Web's Top 50 Search Engines for Free!

The Coffee House

Planet Nexus

IconSkouliki
    BG Music

A Sheriff Put Down His Baton to Listen to Protesters. They Chanted 'Walk With Us,' So He Did

2 posters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Last Outlaw
    The Last Outlaw
    Head Administrator
    Head Administrator
    Posts : 2894 Zodiac Sign : Aquarius Age : 48 Birthday : 1976-02-07

http://betheasbyte.com/

PostThe Last Outlaw Sun May 31, 2020 4:28 pm

A Sheriff Put Down His Baton to Listen to Protesters. They Chanted 'Walk With Us,' So He Did I5Bn3

A Sheriff Put Down His Baton to Listen to Protesters. They Chanted 'Walk With Us,' So He Did FAwWf

Jay Croft of CNN wrote:
    A Sheriff Put Down His Baton to Listen to Protesters. They Chanted 'Walk With Us,' So He Did 200531100445-01-floyd-protest-flint-0530-exlarge-169

(CNN) -- A Michigan sheriff joined protesters in Flint Township on Saturday, putting down his weapon and saying, "I want to make this a parade, not a protest."

A Sheriff Put Down His Baton to Listen to Protesters. They Chanted 'Walk With Us,' So He Did 200531115919-03-floyd-protest-flint-0530-exlarge-169

Genesee County Sheriff Chris Swanson spoke with demonstrators who were met by police officers in riot gear, local affiliate WEYI reported.

"The only reason we're here is to make sure that you got a voice -- that's it," Swanson said in video clips shown on Twitter.

"These cops love you -- that cop over there hugs people," he said, pointing to an officer.

He was speaking to the crowd protesting police brutality and the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

He smiled and high-fived people in the crowd, who responded by chanting, "walk with us!"

So, he did.

"Let's go, let's go," Swanson said as he and the cheering crowd proceeded. "Where do you want to walk? We'll walk all night."

Flint has drawn national attention for its water crisis, which began in 2014, when city and state officials switched the city's water supply to save money. It exposed residents to dangerously high levels of lead and resulted in more than a dozen lawsuits.

But Saturday's event offered a welcome contrast to violent confrontations in cities across the country.

People took to social media to champion Swanson's actions.

"This is the correct response from police #WalkWithUs," Gwen Campbell tweeted.

JJ Milliken, another Swanson supporter, said via Twitter: "#WalkWithUs is how we change a system that murdered #GeorgeFloyd. It requires mindfulness of our actions and beliefs. Chris Swanson exemplifies the deputies and officers I know and respect. Community-first mentality and lead by example. This is a mindful action. This is change."

CNN is attempting to reach the Genesee County Sheriff's office for comment.

On Friday Swanson addressed George Floyd's death via a Facebook post.

"I join with the chorus of citizens and law enforcement officials alike, calling for the swift arrest and prosecution of each police officer involved in this appalling crime," he wrote. "The actions we witnessed on that video destroy countless efforts to bolster community policing efforts across our nation, and erode trust that is painstakingly built."

This is exactly what change looks like. It's like I've been saying in discussions on social media, while I don't condone the riots, the violence and the looting, I have to say that this is a case of "We tried this with a peaceful protest. We tried this with just merely talking about it. We tried this with boycotts. This is our only recourse left. #DoWeHaveYourAttentionNow?"

Of course, I'm gonna get some backlash for this, but the question here is how many more unarmed black men have to be killed before actual change happens. How long before #AllLivesMatter actually means that #BlackLivesMatter just as much as anyone else? When we can answer that and actually take steps to make change in our communities, then we can live in the peace and harmony that we all have the right to.

Just Saying.
    A Sheriff Put Down His Baton to Listen to Protesters. They Chanted 'Walk With Us,' So He Did I6goy
    Kyng
    Contributing Manager
    Contributing Manager

PostKyng Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:54 am

Good on him - and good on these protesters for showing how it's done Very Happy !

I hope to see their example being emulated around the country, and beyond.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum