Bethea's Byte Reloaded
Golden State Killer Sentenced to Life in Prison Without Parole JJnrk
Welcome to Bethea's Byte Reloaded. If you are a member, please sign in and participate. If you are not a member, please sign up and join the conversation. We'd love to hear from you.
Bethea's Byte Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome

I forgot my password

Notifications
    Who is online?
    In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 156 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:22 am
    Recent Members
    See more
    Statistics
    We have 42 registered users
    The newest registered user is JanCarter

Our users have posted a total of 4444 messages in 2050 subjects
    Latest topics
    » How are you feeling right now?
    Golden State Killer Sentenced to Life in Prison Without Parole Clock-10Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:46 pm by Kyng

» Last thing you ate/drank
    Golden State Killer Sentenced to Life in Prison Without Parole Clock-10Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:52 pm by Kyng

» What are you looking forward to right now?
    Golden State Killer Sentenced to Life in Prison Without Parole Clock-10Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:51 pm by Kyng

» What are your plans for the day
    Golden State Killer Sentenced to Life in Prison Without Parole Clock-10Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:06 am by Kyng

» What are your plans for the day.
    Golden State Killer Sentenced to Life in Prison Without Parole Clock-10Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:49 am by Cool Cory

» 2023/24 NFL season
    Golden State Killer Sentenced to Life in Prison Without Parole Clock-10Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:34 am by Cool Cory

» Karen freakout compliation
    Golden State Killer Sentenced to Life in Prison Without Parole Clock-10Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:30 am by Benny

» What NFL team do you support?
    Golden State Killer Sentenced to Life in Prison Without Parole Clock-10Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:55 am by Cool Cory

» NFL 2023 fixture release
    Golden State Killer Sentenced to Life in Prison Without Parole Clock-10Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:26 am by Cool Cory

» 2022-2023 NFL SEASON
    Golden State Killer Sentenced to Life in Prison Without Parole Clock-10Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:08 pm by The Last Outlaw

April 2024
    SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliate With Bethea’s Byte

Bethea's Byte

Anti-Spam Bots!

Submit Your Site To The Web's Top 50 Search Engines for Free!

The Coffee House

Planet Nexus

IconSkouliki
    BG Music

Golden State Killer Sentenced to Life in Prison Without Parole

2 posters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Last Outlaw
    The Last Outlaw
    Head Administrator
    Head Administrator
    Posts : 2894 Zodiac Sign : Aquarius Age : 48 Birthday : 1976-02-07

http://betheasbyte.com/

PostThe Last Outlaw Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:22 pm

Golden State Killer Sentenced to Life in Prison Without Parole I5Bn3

Golden State Killer Sentenced to Life in Prison Without Parole FACyn

Justin Jouvenal of The Washington Post wrote:The man known as the Golden State Killer will spend the rest of his life in prison without the possibility of parole for 13 slayings and nearly 50 rapes that terrorized people in California roughly four decades ago.

A Sacramento judge sentenced Joseph James DeAngelo, 74, to multiple life sentences Friday, finally bringing to an end the case of one of the nation’s most prolific and infamous serial predators.

The sentence was expected after DeAngelo reached a plea deal with prosecutors in six California counties in June that required him to plead guilty or admit his guilt in dozens of crimes in exchange for being spared the possibility of a death sentence.

DeAngelo showed little emotion as the sentence was read by Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Michael G. Bowman. He sat between his public defenders wearing a white sweatshirt and a surgical mask.

Bowman praised the victims and the detectives who worked to bring DeAngelo to justice but wondered if DeAngelo understood the enormity of his crimes.

“When a person commits monstrous acts, they need to be locked away so they don’t hurt other people,” Bowman told the defendant.

The two-hour sentencing hearing followed three days of chilling testimony from dozens of victims, who described in horrific detail attacks that left them scarred, and robbed them of innocence and loved ones. DeAngelo was alternately described as “subhuman,” a “sick monster” and a “horrible man.” The daughter of one victim raised her middle finger and told DeAngelo he could go to hell.

Another woman talked about waking from a nap as a 7-year-old in the mid-70s to find a masked DeAngelo standing near her mother, who had been gagged, bound and raped on a bed in their Sacramento-area home. The woman, who compared DeAngelo to fictional serial killer Hannibal Lecter, said he had told her mother at one point he might cut off her daughter’s ear and bring it to her if she woke the girl.

“That was the day I knew I had proof,” the woman testified. “Monsters were real. The boogeyman had broken into my house.”

DeAngelo’s victims were so numerous the sentencing hearing was staged in a Sacramento State University ballroom to accommodate them and offer social distancing to help stem the spread of the coronavirus. They erupted in applause at various points as prosecutors thanked the judge and denounced DeAngelo.

DeAngelo, who had never publicly addressed his crimes, rose and offered an apology before he was sentenced.

“I’ve listened to all your statements. Each one of them,” DeAngelo said. “And I am really sorry to everyone I’ve hurt.”

The rapes and killings of which DeAngelo was convicted stretched from 1975 to 1986 and spanned such a wide geographical area that authorities initially thought multiple people were responsible. He was alternately known as the Visalia Ransacker, East Area Rapist, Original Night Stalker and finally the Golden State Killer.

He began with home burglaries and a single murder in the San Joaquin Valley, before committing many rapes in and around Sacramento and the Bay Area. He then killed several people across Southern California. DeAngelo often broke into people’s homes in the middle of the night and bound them with shoelaces, before carrying out his rapes and killings. The crimes mysteriously ended in 1986.

They might have gone unsolved but for investigator Paul Holes and his team experimenting with a groundbreaking genetic technique that was developed to reunite adoptees with their birthparents.

The team members fed DNA recovered from one of the crime scenes into a public DNA database to find relatives of the killer. They found a common ancestor among them and then created family trees down to the present day. DeAngelo emerged as a possible suspect.

Investigators eventually got an item containing DeAngelo’s DNA and tested it against the DNA recovered from the crime scene, producing a match. DeAngelo was arrested in April 2018.

The six prosecutors on the case each addressed the court, taking time to admonish DeAngelo and praise the bravery of the victims who shared their trauma during their testimony.

“By their courage they shined a very bright light on the magnitude of crimes before this court,” Ventura County District Attorney Gregory D. Totten said. “In a sense, they’ve also brought to life their loved ones. . . . They’ve honored their memories as people of purpose.”

Just like @Kyng said on another site, "Given his already-advanced age, as well as how heinous his crimes were, it honestly feels pretty light (though I understand he couldn't be executed, as per his plea deal). Still, it's good to see him being brought to justice at last."

To that thought, I say Amen to that. Justice served!

Just Saying.
    Golden State Killer Sentenced to Life in Prison Without Parole I6goy
    Kyng
    Contributing Manager
    Contributing Manager

PostKyng Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:48 pm

Yeah, not a lot I can add to what was quoted in this post Razz .

I just hope that, should this ever happen again, the person responsible is brought to justice sooner - so that their victims don't have to endure such a long and agonising wait for justice to be served.

The Last Outlaw likes this post

The Last Outlaw likes this post

The Last Outlaw
    The Last Outlaw
    Head Administrator
    Head Administrator
    Posts : 2894 Zodiac Sign : Aquarius Age : 48 Birthday : 1976-02-07

http://betheasbyte.com/

PostThe Last Outlaw Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:52 pm

Kyng wrote:Yeah, not a lot I can add to what was quoted in this post Razz .

I just hope that, should this ever happen again, the person responsible is brought to justice sooner - so that their victims don't have to endure such a long and agonising wait for justice to be served.

That's the thing about serial killers. They will kill for so long then go silent. Those cases get cold until he decides to heat things up again. It's gonna take time, but they eventually get caught, and thus, brought to justice.
    Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum